Solution Focused Approach
Ignite youth workers use the Human Givens approach to 1:1 and small group mentoring.
Human Givens therapy is based on the understanding that emotions create distinctive psychobiological states in us that drive us to take action. Hunger may drive us to steal, fear to avoid school, homelessness to risky behaviours.
There is widespread agreement as to the nature of our emotional needs – the essential ones for mental health are listed below.
Emotional needs include:
- Security — safe territory and an environment which allows us to develop fully
- Attention (to give and receive it) — a form of nutrition
- Sense of autonomy and control — having volition to make responsible choices
- Emotional intimacy — to know that at least one other person accepts us totally for who we are, “warts 'n' all”
- Feeling part of a wider community
- Privacy — opportunity to reflect and consolidate experience
- Sense of status within social groupings
- Sense of competence and achievement
- Meaning and purpose — which come from being stretched in what we do and think.