An exciting opportunity to take Ignite forwards at a time when working successfully with anti-social and vulnerable young people is at the centre of our Government's priorities
Responsible to: Chair of Trustees
Salary: £35,000 pa
Hours: 40 hours per week based at Ignite Office, Wealdstone Harrow
Ignite is a Christian charity, working equally with young people of all faiths and none. It is faith based but not faith biased. There is a genuine occupational requirement for this post holder to be a practicing Christian and so the Employment Equality (Religion and Belief) Regulations 2003 Section 7.2 applies to this post.
Leading and managing the organisation:
The leader of Ignite is key in developing the organisation in response to the needs of young people and Harrow community:
- identifying opportunities for new projects,
- working with the trustees and team to deliver them
- ensuring that we are journeying with young people to enable them to leave anti-social behaviour, gang involvement and exploitative relationships behind and move on to education, training or employment.
This will involve enabling staff and volunteers to work as a team with a sense of purpose and celebration of achievement by:
- Providing leadership direction in weekly team meetings, reviewing projects and issues in monthly line management meetings and leading annual appraisals;
- Taking an active part in the youth projects, as a project team member or cover staff, to ensure familiarity with young people and current issues
- Working with the Operations Manager to ensure that we are achieving the outputs and outcomes agreed with the funders and helping to prepare the required reports;
- Working with the fundraiser to ensure that we can cover the agreed priorities and we are on track to fundraise the expenditure needed each year;
- Working with the Financial Administrator and Treasurer to ensure that the organisation has the human, material and financial resources it needs to operate effectively
Promoting the organisation:
- Protecting and enhancing the reputation of the organisation;
- Seeking opportunities to expand and promote awareness of the organisation’s work;
- Assisting in the formulation of marketing strategies, including new media;
- Overseeing the regular updating of the website, production of a newsletter and other communications with supporters
- Manage the safeguarding process, supporting the designated Safeguarding Officer
Working with the board:
- With the Chair, ensuring that the board of trustees regularly reviews the organisation’s strategic plan, policies and risk assessments;
- Reporting to the board on organisational progress in the agreed strategic objectives;
- Working with the trustees to ensure that the organisation fulfils its constitutional, regulatory and legal obligations;
- To be involved in devising opportunities for young people to recognise spirituality as a resource;
- To develop relationship with churches.
- To undertake training as required;
- To keep up to date with trends within youth work in general and policies within government funding, spotting opportunities for the development of the work of Ignite;
- To undertake such other duties as the Chair may from time to time require.
Qualifications and experience that would be helpful:
- A degree in Youth and Community Work; a degree in business or community development
- Significant experience of youth work or social work with marginalised young people
- Experience of managing a team and managing budgets
- Reporting to charitable trusts and foundations on agreed targets.
- Experience of working in the voluntary sector
- Fundraising from corporates, donors, events
Skills that would be helpful:
- An understanding of urban youth work and provision for marginalised and vulnerable young people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An ability to work with and build relationships with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Confident with budgets
- Experience of working to and achieving targets and KPIs
- IT literate - strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook is required.
- Effective time management skills
- Ability to think outside the box and develop programs and vision
- Ability to make reasoned decisions
- Ability to plan and prioritise workload within a context of multiple demands
- Ability to relate to and work with professionals in a variety of contexts
- Excellent presentation skills
- An understanding of social media in relation to fundraising and charity communications
- A confident and articulate individual able to communicate effectively with colleagues, professionals and members of the wider community.
- Someone who naturally able to see the bigger picture.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and under your own initiative.
- Dynamic and enthusiastic.
- Ability to work under pressure.
We want to hear from all interested candidates, even if you do not feel ready to take on the full role initially. Ignite is in the business of helping people become all they can be. We can offer a gradual handover of responsibilities to the right person.
If you would like to discuss the role or ask for an application form please email email@example.com
Closing Date 19 February 2018